The Obligatory Preamble
As with any magazine, we ask you to pay close attention to our submission guidelines (at the bottom of this page) to ensure the maximum happiness of your editor. Thank you!
We accept submissions year-round, and produce an issue at the end of each Durham University term (though you don’t have to go to Durham to submit). The theme for Issue 4 is ‘INHERITANCE‘. The deadline for submissions is Sunday 27th November. Have a look at our past issues for inspiration.
For Issue 4 we’re looking for pieces on the theme of ‘INHERITANCE’. As the year comes to a close, we think about what we’ve left behind and what shapes us – our inheritance. Whether familial, geographical, or any other interpretation that you feel is apt, we want you to define the theme and inspire us with your writing.
We’re looking for poetry, short stories, flash fiction, non-fiction, essays, drama, translations as well as art and photography for the interior and cover of the magazine but don’t hesitate to contact us if you’d like to offer something else.
We accept any work that you own the rights to, whether previously published or not. Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please let us know if your work is accepted elsewhere as soon as possible. We reserve the right to claim first printing, and we ask that you acknowledge in future publications that your work was first printed by From the Lighthouse. We offer feedback if requested (and sometimes if not!).
How to submit
- Send your submissions to email@example.com by Friday 10th June.
- Any prose or drama must not exceed 2500 words; poetry must not exceed 60 lines.
- The subject heading must be: ‘[Category] submission to Issue 4’. For example, ‘Poetry and prose submissions to Issue 3’.
- Include in the body of the message: your full name and a short, third-person bio of up to 100 words.
- The piece of work must be in the body of the email, and also included as an attachment in .rtf, .doc or .docx.
We look forward to reading your work!